How many diabetics need dialysis?

Dr. Michael Ekizian

In brief: Big problem

Diabetes is the most common cause of new patients requiring dialysis, accounting for about 45 percent of cases in the United States.
I am not sure what percentage of diabetics develop end-stage kidney disease, but it is declining due to a number of factors.

In brief: Big problem

Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Chris Oh

In brief: Depends

Diabetics can develop nephropathy where their kidney function deteriorates with time.
The higher the blood sugars the faster the decline in kidney function which can lead to complete failure eventually needing dialysis. Certain medications such as ace inhibitors have been shown to delay the onset of kidney disease in diabetics.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Chris Oh