How many diabetics need dialysis?

Dr. Michael Ekizian
In brief: Big problem
Diabetes is the most common cause of new patients requiring dialysis, accounting for about 45 percent of cases in the United States.
I am not sure what percentage of diabetics develop end-stage kidney disease, but it is declining due to a number of factors.

In brief: Big problem
Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Chris Oh
In brief: Depends
Diabetics can develop nephropathy where their kidney function deteriorates with time.
The higher the blood sugars the faster the decline in kidney function which can lead to complete failure eventually needing dialysis. Certain medications such as ace inhibitors have been shown to delay the onset of kidney disease in diabetics.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Chris Oh
Dr. Peter Kurzweil