I'm concerned about being vegan and vegetarian. Can a person get sick from drinking milk but not sick from eating yogurt or cheeze?

Pathology

In brief: Let's talk

A vegan eats nothing of animal origin and probably does not wear leather. As often used, "vegetarians" often will drink milk ; perhaps eat eggs.
Both options are primarily for moral reasons, and the health benefits are elusive when we control for the fact that these people tend to have other healthy habits. The idea that milk / meat are intrinsically unhealthy if prepared well is hard to support.

In brief: Let's talk

I'm also worried that I've misunderstood your question. Please do be careful drinking raw milk or anything prepared from it. Before you change your diet radically, familiarize yourself with case for and against vegetarianism by reviewing some real scientific papers, not "pop" claims or subscientific scare-books. It may very well still be the right choice for you.
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Pasteurized?

Some people want to drink "raw" (or unpasteurized) milk.
This can expose you to illnesses if the milk is contaminated with certain bacteria such as e coli, salmonella, and listeria. Most yogurts and cheeses go through the pasteurization process. To get raw milk, you have to go direct to a dairy -- many of which will not sell raw milk due to legalities anyway. Some states allow it, though.

In brief: Pasteurized?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Thanks, Dr. Pappas. I think you've answered the actual question. Best wishes.
Dr. William Forsythe