What can I use for a super fast constipated baby?

Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Pear or Apple juice

For simple constipation, i usually start with pear juice (in the baby aisle), and mix it with the formula.
So a 4 oz bottle of formula would hold 2 oz water, and 2 oz pear juice. The sugar brings water into the stool to soften it. Prune works too but only by itself. I do this mixture twice a day. If this doesn't work after 1-2 days, consult your pediatrician for more advanced measures.

In brief: Pear or Apple juice

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Swati Avashia
How old is your baby? Are you sure your baby is constipated? Some parents think their baby is constipated if the bowel movements decrease in frequency but as long as the bowel movements are soft when they happen and the baby doesn't have a distended belly or seems distressed, it's not constipation. Constipation is when the baby's stool come out like little hard pebbles or pellets.

In brief: What are you feeding

There are many foods that are "constipating" to a young baby being introduced to solids, things like bananas, raw apples, carrots and rice.
Try to figure out if this is the case and modify your infants diet. Any fruit that starts with a "p" help you "go" , peaches, plums, pears, papaya etc. Always consult your doc so you both can determine the best course to take.

In brief: What are you feeding

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Need more info

How old is your baby? Why do you think your baby is constipated? When was the last bowel movement? Was the stool soft or hard like pebbles? Is your baby breastfed or bottlefed?

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Swati Avashia