What would happen if I ruptured or torn a ligament in my ankle? Could I walk on it?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Probably not

If it is fully torn, probably not.
But several important ligaments are involved in maintaining the ankle's structure. Some can be injured and partially torn, and you can still walk. How it was injured and where the pain is will help identify what was damaged. Most ankle sprains or even achilles tendon injuries are not complete, so limping is common.

In brief: Probably not

If it is fully torn, probably not.
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. James Leiber
Sports Medicine

In brief: Maybe

A torn ligament is called a sprain.
It could be partially torn (most common) or fully torn (which can often be accompanied by fractures) . Depending on the severity, you may be able to walk on it. If it hurts to bear weight or if it's tender on the bone, i recommend seeing your doctor to determine if you need an x-ray

In brief: Maybe

A torn ligament is called a sprain.
Dr. James Leiber
Dr. James Leiber
Dr. Jack Hinkle