How to get rid of sore throat and swollen gland?

Support immune syste. Try salt water gargles twice daily, increase fluids to the amount of ounces = to half your weight in pounds, make sure you are getting adequate sleep to restore your immune system (7.5-8 hours/night). You can also add vitamin c and zinc to your regimen to support immune system. Most often the cause is viral and unless symptoms persist, I would not recommend antibiotics.
Antiinflammatories. The swollen gland is a reactive inflammatory response of the infection attacking the tonsills. Either a virus or a bacterial infection, for sure, there is inflammation. For which I recommend antiinflammatories (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc), just make sure you don't have any contraindications to its use.
Otc meds or swab. Acetaminophem or antiinflamatories might help, as well as gargles with salted warm water, to help you fall asleep use a topica product like chlorasptic spray. The typical sore throat of a cold shoul go away in 2 or 3 days. However if you feel very ill, heve fever, and exudates in your tonsills strep throat needs to be ruled out and if that is the case, you need antibiotics.