How can you determine a lipoma on upper arm and if its tender? And if its removed will I be put to sleep anf be given something for pain if

Dr. Arlo Miller
Dermatology

In brief: Easy removal

Most lipomas are easy to remove and can be done with you awake.
I remove these all the time under local anesthetic. The risk of general anesthesia, although small, is seldom warranted for this type of surgery. Post operative pain is usually mild and easily controlled with tylenol (acetaminophen).

In brief: Easy removal

Dr. Arlo Miller
Dr. Arlo Miller
Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Safe procedure

Lipomas can usually be identified on exam, but to be sure take it out, unless it is very large, it is unlikely you would be put to sleep to remove it.
It can usually be done with local anesthesia, or a block to the arm, while you stay awake. You should not feel pain, but only pressure during the procedure. It will be sore afterwards as would be expected. But it should go away in 2-3 days.

In brief: Safe procedure

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery