Will I be put to sleep for a remova of a lipoma on my upper arm anf how can I tell if its tender and will I be in pain during or after surgery?

Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery
In brief: It depends
Lipomas are benign fatty tumors and common.
If your doctor sent you to surgeon, it is for opinion about surgical removal. Ask surgeon, all these questions, then decide. In general, lipomas are removed for causing pain, increasing size. Most can be removed in the office setting. After any surgery, there can be pain during recovery. This pain is managed with medications. Good luck.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
In brief: Usually not
Unless it is very large, it is unlikely you would be put to sleep to remove it.
It can usually be done with local anesthesia, or a block to the arm, while you stay awake. You should not feel pain, but only pressure during the procedure. It will be sore afterwards as would be expected. But it should go away in 2-3 days.

In brief: Usually not
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery