What is the cause of cramp and dull pain from my left buttocks down to my feet always?

David Miller

In brief: Many possibilities

There are many possible causes for the pattern of pain you're describing.
A careful history and thorough physical exam would be helpful in determining the cause. I would suggest you see your doc about this. The possible causes could be muscular (a fascial distortion or a pulled/strained muscle), neurological (a slipped disc in the low back, sciatica) or some combination of the two.

In brief: Many possibilities

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Ted King
As Dr. Nguyen said, there can be many causes. Amongst the muscular causes is a strain of the piriformis muscle in the middle of the buttock. A piriformis muscle strain can often seem like sciatica.
Dr. Noel Alonso

In brief: Sounds like...

When pressure is placed on the sciatic nerve, a patient may experience the above symptoms. Because sciatica may occur for many reasons (slipped disc, strain, spinal stenosis), your doctor can confirm the diagnosis with a history and physical examination and then perhaps order blood work or imaging studies (such as mri) to support the diagnosis and pinpoint the reason behind the pain.

In brief: Sounds like...

Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Ted King
There is also a vein in the back of the thigh that travels with the sciatic nerve. If that vein develops trouble, it can also mimic the symptoms of sciatica.