I heard that there is a recommendation against routine psa screening for prostate cancer - but didn't a recent study in nejm show it saves lives?

Dr. Tahir Ijaz
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Screening
Correct, an update on trial in europe looking at screening shows a benefit with screening, published in new england journal of medicine, march 2012.
Moreover, with the introduction of psa testing some 20 years ago, there has been a reduction in prostate cancer mortality in usa as noted in the data collected by the national cancer institute, known as seer data.

In brief: Screening
Dr. Tahir Ijaz
Dr. Tahir Ijaz
In brief: Psa
Yes us preventative med task force gives psa a grade of d, i still advise my pts to get psa testing yearly.
Especially if they have a family hx.

In brief: Psa
Especially if they have a family hx.
Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
The controversy will go on.
In primary care while some males don't allow us to do a digital rectal exam (dre) every year, psa is a test that helps to lead a pt towards the acceptance of dre or an urologist evaluation although we know that there is a small percentage of prostate cancers that exist with normal psas <4%>we know that 80% of males have prostate cancer at the age of 80 years old.

The controversy will go on.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Adam Smith