Son had an MRI done on his brain. It came back "normal", what does that mean? Does it rule anything out? If he had tourettes would the MRI indicate?

Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Good

An MRI of brain shows its anatomy - that's it.
So tourette's would usually show nothing wrong on a single MRI test. Research has shown that some tourette's patients have a swollen thalamus. But this can only be demonstrated with serial mri's. See my health guides on tourette's for links to the studies.

In brief: Good

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Philip Chao
was your sons test done on an OPEN MRI or a closed MRI. Was it done at 3T. 3 tesla MRI is more accurate and shows more detail. I would highly recommend you ask for a 3T MRI when you go for an MRI exam. It can only help you in most cases. Also ask them how much they charge. Strangely you can sometimes pay less for a good 3T MRI than a bad OPEN MRI. Ask and you will be better informed. We only charge $500 for a 3T MRI here.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Brain MRI normal

Signifies the structures of the brain appear normal, i.
e. No obvious tumors, brain shrinkage, bleeding, tangles of blood vessels (a-v malformations). Eeg's & pet scans record functional abnormalities. Sometimes a pet-mri is performed to localize areas of abnormal function. Your doc can discuss the details of the MRI report & their significance.

In brief: Brain MRI normal

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Jonathan Jassey