Is generalized anxiety disorder a mental disease?

Yes. Generalized anxiety disorder refers to a persistent pattern of worrying about a variety of real or imagined possible bad events that can occur to the point that it interferes with day-to-day functioning. It is quite common, often runs in families, and can be surprisingly debilitating. It also it quite responsive to various treatments, both talk therapies and medications.
In short, yes, Gad is a listed illness with defined criteria according to the diagnostics and statistics manual of mental illnesses.
Yes. Generalized anxiety disorder (gad) is global worry (about everything) all day everyday for 6 months or more causing decreased function in life activities (work, school, relationships, etc). There are effective medication and therapy treatments for gad.