Is cataract surgery on both eyes worth it given risk of fuchs dystrophy?

Dr. Ari Weitzner
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

Depends on how bad the fuch's is, and how bad the cataract is, and how motivated you are to see better. If cornea fails, dsek has a very good success rate.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Ari Weitzner
Dr. Ari Weitzner
Dr. Richard Witlin
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Probably yes

I would recommend a thorough pre-operative examination including specular microscopy and corneal thickness measurements be done to help gauge your risk of corneal decompensation with cataract surgery.
Having the femto-laser assisted cataract surgery is also a good idea to help minimize damage associated with cataract surgery. Experienced cataract surgeon important as well.

In brief: Probably yes

Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

If you have fuchs' dystrophy and cataract and your vision is limiting your normal daily activities, the cataract surgery can be safely performed.
There is a small risk of corneal issues postoperatively but this can also be surgically corrected if necessary. I would recommend seeing a cornea doctor for your cataract surgery to minimize your risk.

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Ophthalmology

We perform cataract surgery on patients with fuchs dystrophy regularly.
There is always the possibility of corneal swelling postoperatively but this can be treated as well with medication and or a partial transplant . Corneal transplants for this are very successful. I would discuss your personal situation with your doctor as it often depends on the severity of the fuchs dystrophy.

Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Stephen Khachikian
Dr. Steven Seres