I dropped an iron on my foot and now I have a black toenail. Is there any medicine that I can take or an ointmentthat I can apply to it?

Dr. Tara Passow
Dermatology

In brief: Bleeding under nail

Usually bleeding under a toenail will look very dark purple or black.
It lasts until the nail grows out - usually several months. If there is a lot of pressure, pain, or throbbing, it can help to have a small opening made in the nail, over the black area, to let some of the blood out.

In brief: Bleeding under nail

Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Tara Passow

In brief: Nail injury

Most likely blood under the nail but you can also have a fracure and/or laceration under the nail as well.

In brief: Nail injury

Dr. Raymond Stolarski
Dr. Raymond Stolarski

In brief: Needs evaluation

The trauma creating bleeding under the toenail.
If pain is present the blood may need to be drained or the toenail removed to avoid infection. Also x-ray may be needed to make sure there is no fracture of the toe.

In brief: Needs evaluation

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Ouch.

You have a hematoma (bruise) under the nail, and like any bruise, it will resolve by itself over time.
The nail may or may not peel off in the process. Rarely, severe pain will develop, which means pressure is building up under the nail. If that happens, see a doctor right away.

In brief: Ouch.

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern