Can breastfeeding help my postpartum depression?

Yes. Every time a breastfeeding mom thinks about the baby, there is a surge of oxytocin, which induces milk "let down." oxytocin's nickname is the "love hormone, " and it produces feelings of calmness, warmth and affection. Fathers can secrete it when they look at their baby, too! it's safe to continue breastfeeding while taking most medications for depression -- consult your local lactation center.
Breast feeding. Bonding with your baby is a factor to reduce post-partem depression, along with hormonal changes during the process.
Get treatment . If you have ppd, you should seek treatment from a mental health professional with expertise in perinatal issues. To respond to your question, some women find that nursing helps them feel better and others find they feel better once they stop nursing (as then their estrogen levels increase). Unfortunately, there is no way to know beforehand which group you fit into.
No. Non breast feeding is one of the risk factors to develop a postpartum depression, however, it is not clear whether breast feeding curtails or ameliorate the postpartum depression. Psychosocial therapy is recommended as the first line treatment.
Yes. Oxytocin, one of the hormones released during nursing is an anti-depressant. Breastfeeding will also help you strengthen the bond with your baby. That being said, however, many women suffering from PPD find it difficult to breastfeed. 10-40% of women experience some degree of "the blues" after the birth of their baby. Talk to your dr. About any depressive emotions you may be feeling.