What appliance do I need for bruxism?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Stabilization splint

is also called stabilization appliance, night guard, bite guard or Michigan splint.
A full coverage stabilization appliance fabricated in hard acrylic resin is most commonly used. Clinical trials suggest that the stabilization appliance may be particularly effective for patients who wake up with masticatory myalgia due to nocturnal bruxism. Ask your dentist for more information.

In brief: Stabilization splint

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. David Duncan m.d.
Occasionally you can use a trial of a moldable mouth guard. It is certainly no as good as one made by your dentist but if it works, you should be very excited to get one fit to you by your dentist. It will change the angle of your bite while you wear it and probably give you some relief. You would be amazed about the number of antibiotics given for ear infections but really it is Bruxism.

In brief: Individuality

There is no one "best" dental appliance for bruxism. I make different types of mouthpieces based upon my history and examination.
Some patients just need a soft, thin mouthguard to wear at night, while others may need a hard acrylic one that they wear 24/7. Some come into my office with a handful of old appliances. Need to figure out what works and what did not. Really need to address source.

In brief: Individuality

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman