Please tell me if I should get my tooth extracted instead of a root canal?

Usually not. If the tooth does not have any other issues it is better most of the time to keep tooth. It's not so simple when you have multiple issues however ( decay below gumline, periodontal disease, and the number and condition of the rest of the teeth in your mouth). A history of root canal failure in other teeth in your mouth in the past is also consideration as well as unresolved decay control.
Root canal. If the tooth can be saved by having a root canal, i recommend having the root canal. If you remove the tooth, then you need to have either an implant, bridge or partial to replace the tooth.
Value desision. As dentist we want to preserve dental health and function which means keeping teeth when we can. If this is a functional tooth i would always recommend preserving the function. Otherwise teeth can drift, create bite interferences which can lead to overloading and break down of other teeth. The answer lies in your core values regarding your health.