I have blood in my underwear, is this a sign of colonic polyps?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Could be

There are many reasons for blood in your underwear (you don't say if you are male or female - i'll address only the colorectal causes in this answer, but blood can come from the vagina, bladder, or penis, as well).
Bleeding from the anus or rectum can come from anal fissures, hemorrhoids, or irritation, but may be a symptom of polyps or cancer. Get it checked!

In brief: Could be

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Probably not

Blood present in your underwear is generally a sign of anorectal bleeding such as an anal fissure(tear) or hemorrhoids.
Any rectal bleeding should be evaluated and you should see your doctor.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery