I feel colonoscopy is invasive. Are there less embarrassing ways to look for colonic polyps?

Possibly. For a full evaluation of your colon, a virtual colonoscopy or ct colonography may be an option. This is a specialized examination using the ct scanner performed by certain centers. Ask your doctor if this option is available in your area.
Yes. Patients can also undergo a special CT scan-also known as virtual colonoscopy to look for colon polyps. Unfortunately, if one sees polyps on virtual colonoscopy, then one still needs to undergo the real colonoscopy to remove them.
Yes. A virtual colonoscopy/ct scan can be less embarrassing but this technique will never be the gold standard. In addition to what has already been stated by my colleagues about having to go through a regular colonoscopy if there are findings, the most common complaint I hear is the prep, which is the same for either procedure. The virtual may be better for low risk patients who still want to know.
Yes. An alternative is a virtual colnonscopy but this still involves having a catheter inserted into your rectum to inject dye followed by a ct scan. Stool blood testing can be done but it is nonspecific. Positive stool blood testing commonly leads to colonoscopies. Remember you are "asleep" for a colonoscopy.
Yes. Sure you can do a virtual - but if you find something that needs a biopsy - its back to the prep and then get ready for the scope - so might as well get over it and do it right the first time -.
Yes. Virtual colonoscopy is less "invasive" but requires a similar prep procedure and requires a direct colonoscopy if any abnormality is discovered. It also carries a very heavy dose of radiation. Be reminded that most endoscopist use sedation which leaves you with no awareness or memory of the procedure. Traditional colonoscopy is still the gold standard.
Yes. If you are screening for colon cancer the United States task force on preventative health recommends one of three methods, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy or fecal occult blood testing (fobt). They should start in average risk patients at age 50. No one method has been shown to be superior for colon cancer screening. Discuss the options with your physician.
Yes. Barium enema is an xray that will show colon polyps. However, the preference for finding colon polyps with colonoscopy is because if there are polyps present they can be removed at the time of the procedure and sent for examination for cancer. If barium enema shows polyps you will then need a colonoscopy to remove the polyps.
Yes. There is a procedure called a virtual colonsocopy that is performed by radiology. You still need to undergo the prep to get quality results. If the test is positive a colonoscopy would be the recommended follow-up.
Yes. A qualified "yes" - there are alternatives - the barium enema, and the virtual colonoscopy, but long story short, they're just not as accurate as the traditional colonoscopy. Even the virtual colonoscopy might miss smaller but potentially precancerous polyps.
Another test is the stool analysis for minute amounts of blood, which can be an early sign of polyps. There are test under development which also use a stool sample to check for genetic markers of higher risk, but they are not widely used. If there is blood, then a colonoscopy would be needed.
Yes. There is another test, ct colonoscopy, which can identify polyps. There are several problems with this approach, however. There is radiation involved, which can be quite high. If a polyp is identified, then a regular colonoscopy must be done to remove it, and only after it is removed can it be looked at in pathology to see if it has the potential to turn into cancer. The prep is the same.
Yes. There is a procedure called virtual colonoscopy. It is less embarrassing, but if it does find polyps then one has to have a traditional colonoscopy to test/ remove these polyps and you still have to use the same bowel prep. Insurance payment is rare for this procedure when used for screening. And although the colonoscopy seems embarrassing, the medications used allow you to be comfortable.
Yes. Yes, but none that are better than colonoscopy. With colonoscopy, not only do you get the diagnostic test done, but if a polyp is found, it is easily removed. Other tests do not give you that benefit.