I have an old discolored formerly white filling on my front tooth. Could the dentist replace it? He only likes amalgams and gold, of course

Dr. Stanley Siu
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Talk to him

I don't know of any present day dentists who would advocate placing a silver colored filling or a gold colored filling on a front tooth.
Talk to him about various other options and what's the most conservative treatment available. Ask him what he would recommend to you if you were his son.

In brief: Talk to him

Dr. Stanley Siu
Dr. Stanley Siu
Dr. Robert Fong
Dentistry

I think you may want to talk to your dentist again.
There may be some miscommunication. Though many dentists love gold, I do not think that many would recommend it as the material of choice on a front tooth. Composites are often the used due to it's lower cost, but they do tend to stain with time. Porcelain has better color stability, but it is more expensive.

Dr. Robert Fong
Dr. Robert Fong
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Communication error

A dentist who only uses amalgam or gold on front teeth surely would soon have a dwindling practice.
While gold is a wonderful restorative material, it has been for a long time unused for incisor and canine teeth. In all probability, there was just an error in communication. Composites or porcelain are clearly the materials of choice in modern dentistry regarding esthetics.

In brief: Communication error

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Yes, ask him

If your dentist does not do many tooth colored fillings , then you should find someone who does what you need.
First ask him and if you get an answer that does not work for you, then find another reputable dentist who provides this treatment. Todays composites are outstanding and very esthetic. You need to be happy with your treatment. Likely that he does do tooth colored , esp. On front teeth.

In brief: Yes, ask him

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. STEPHEN PERRY
Dentistry

In brief: Be powerful

Is your smile so take responsibility for it in always.
Amalgam should not be placed is there a better materials available. Gold is also being replaced with new ultrahard porcelains. New techniques have made a world of difference in both function and cosmetics. Disfiguring materials are unnecessary, and you should be respected in your requests. Finding a different dentist is a choice.

In brief: Be powerful

Dr. STEPHEN PERRY
Dr. STEPHEN PERRY
Dr. David Schleimer
Unless requested, I know of no modern dentist who would put a gold crown on a front tooth. But by and large, gold is an extremely bite friendly restorative replacement. It requires less tooth removal to fabricate the crown; and as to occlusion (the bite) porcelain is very hard on opposing teeth and significant wear can occur. Gold is much kinder in occlusion, and where cosmetics does not dictate, gold is wonderful is a wonderful restorative material.