I've had a wisdom tooth removed and the root of the tooth broke. The dentist left it in. Is that normal?

Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dentistry

In brief: Not usually

There are certain situations where the root of a tooth is left in place for a specific reason.
Please ask the doctor the reason. In many cases it will not be a problem but if the tooth was infected at the time of surgery you may want to consider consulting w an oral surgeon. I have left a very few roots purposely due to intimate proximity to a nerve. The patient was informed prior to surgery.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Not common

We prefer to take out all teeth in their entirety.
There are always risks when a root tip or fragment is left. However, many times this happens without consequence. In certain circumstances we can do more harm then good in trying to retrieve that last piece of tooth. If the tooth was removed within the week and by a general dentist, i would recommend that you at least consult an oral surgeon.

In brief: Not common

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Peter Kurzweil