I have an aching pain in my toe since my kid stepped on it. Wait it out?

In brief: Depends
Depending on how long ago it was you may need to have an exam and x-ray to determine it it may be fractured.
If only a day or so and no bleeding or discoloration of the skin, wait another day or 2.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Michael Amster
In brief: How long ago?
There's a lot of what-if's here.
.. Which toe, how much pain, how big was your child, what footwear were they all wearing, and the mechanism of injury (what exactly happened). If you can walk around on it, it's probably a contusion, and if Ibuprofen helps, you can wait it out. If there's notable dysfunction, a lot of pain, or the pain doesn't resolve, go get it looked at.

In brief: How long ago?
There's a lot of what-if's here.
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Shontae Buffington