I'm scared of getting an colonoscopy to look for colonic polyps. Will they knock me out?

Dr. Donald Kim
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Most likely

Typically you will be sedated for your colonoscopy.
In most instances, you will not remember much from the exam. It is a very safe examination.

In brief: Most likely

Dr. Donald Kim
Dr. Donald Kim
Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

Fifteen years ago, most colonoscopy was done with versed or valium for sedation.
More commonly today, we use Propofol which gives complete sedation, but a faster recovery. Prior to any colonoscopy, you need to ask your gastroenterologist what type of medication is used for sedation. In my office, we use Propofol with a real american trained anesthesiologist not a crna giving sedation.

Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Dr. Ronald Ferris

You will receive procedural sedation, which means medications will be given like versed and result in moderate sedation (formerly called conscious sedation).
Versed causes short term amnesia, so you will most likely not remember the procedure and likely ask if they are going to start the procedure when it is actually completed. The final answer is that you will most likely not have pain.

Dr. Ronald Ferris
Dr. Ronald Ferris
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery