I chewed tobacco only a few times in my whole life. Am I going to get mouth cancer?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Prob Not from tobacc

Probably not from chewing tobacco.
However if you also have other risk factors- i.e. ( betel nut chewing, alcohol, viral infection such as hpv, hiv; poor dental hygiene/periodontal disease etc ) then, the risk for you to develop mouth cancers-remains there. Consider to stop chewing tobacco, and if you also drink alcohol -please try to quit as well.

In brief: Prob Not from tobacc

Probably not from chewing tobacco.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Unlikely

Statistically very unlkely.
See oral surgeon or ENT doc if you have any of these symptoms: Persistent mouth sore, persistent mouth pain, a lump or thickening in the cheek, a white/red patch on the gums, tongue, tonsil, or lining of the mouth, a sore throat, hoarseness or feeling that something is caught in the throat that does not go away, difficulty swallowing/chewing.

In brief: Unlikely

Statistically very unlkely.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Pathology

In brief: Not likely

Use of tobacco, including smoking, alcohol, and hpv infection are major factors in the etiology of mouth cancer, and occurrence is dependent on genetic susceptibility.
Use of chewing tobacco a few times is not likely to materially increase your risk of oral cancer.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Probably not.

This usually takes a long time to devolop.
Patients usually present ove age 50. Alcohol and tobacco use (also smokeless) are risk factors. This usually presenta as a nonhealing ulcer that can be painful. I would advise stopping tobacco use from now on.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Peter Kurzweil