Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy -- is it fatal?

It can be. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a leading cause of fatal arrhythmias, particularly in young people, particularly in athletic young people. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy carries a high risk of fatal arrhythmias, and only an implantable cardiac defibrillator can lower the risk of death from arrhythmias in these individuals.
Preventable. Hcm is caused by one of 20 genetic mutations. Some are mild and may take a long time to be recognized. Others are malignant and lead to fatal arrhythmia early on. People performing strenous cativity(athletes) may be particularly at risk. If there are risk factors such as family history, you should be evalated by a qualified cardiologist. Once diagnosed, sudden death can usually be prevented.