How can I breastfeed my baby who has down's syndrome?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: Consult lactation
I think having a lactation consultant work with you early on will be most beneficial.
If your baby is having a lot of difficulty latching onto the breast and you are concerned he/she is not getting enough milk from nursing alone, consider pumping your breastmilk to supplement while using a haberman nipple.

In brief: Consult lactation
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
In brief: With Assistance
Babies with down syndrome can be successfully breastfed.
However, they have decreased muscle tone and can have difficulty latching on and transfering milk from the front of the mouth to the throat. Enlist the help of a lactation consultant early. This will make success more likely and easier.

In brief: With Assistance
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Adam Levy