Do I need shingles vaccine if I might have had genital herpes?

Dr. William Lee
In brief: No
Totally unrelated! shingles vaccine is recommended for those over the age of 65.
There is no vaccine for herpes, a totally different virus.

In brief: No
Dr. William Lee
Dr. William Lee
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Not related
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is caused by the varicella zoster virus, which is the same virus that causes chickenpox.
Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. They're 2 different viruses. The shingles vaccine won't protect against the genital herpes virus. There is no cure for genital herpes, but there is treatment. See your doctor if you have painful sores in the genital area.

In brief: Not related
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Shontae Buffington