Is mbsr training recommended for patients suffering clinical depression, mild chronic depression, or high levels of stress and anxiety?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Not everyone

I recommend mbsr training to many of my patients.
Recommendations are very individual, since severely depressed people may not be able to attend well to the process, or silent meditation may result in losing one's self in self-deprecating/negative thinking. Moderate depression is quite different though -- there is even mindfulness-based cbt for depression. Mbsr can be very helpful in anxiety!

In brief: Not everyone

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: It can be

Very helpful for some but if severe enough should not replace professional evaluation and management.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Pamela Pappas
MBSR can be a great benefit alongside, or as part of, professional care for these conditions. It doesn't need to be an "either-or" choice -- at least not in my practice. I do find it sad that insurance companies do not usually pay for MBSR when it is far from an experimental process -- and when it encourages the patient to do what s/he can to befriend and care for the self. .
Dr. Eric Weisman