What to do about intense fear of the dentist? Can you be prescribed anti-anxiety meds for dental work?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Help's available

There are lots of ways to reduce your anxiety, including coping mechanisms and anti-anxiety medications.
Best suggestion, however, is to schedule an appointment with the Dentist to discuss your situation, your fears, and all the marvelous modalities available to keep you comfortable.

In brief: Help's available

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Anxiety

If you have so much fear you may also want to consult with a Clinical Psychologist to learn coping methods so you will feel stronger and not so vulnerable.

In brief: Anxiety

Dr. Judith Tellerman
Dr. Judith Tellerman

I personally try to meet with anxious patients before i preform work on them. Identifying the root of dental anxiety for each patient is important and different for everyone.
Patients can be helped many ways. Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and perscription meds like valium and xanex are classic tools to use to help anxiety. Discuss options with your dentist first.

Dr. Lawrence Grodin
Dr. Lawrence Grodin
Dr. Mary Efremov

In brief: Commonly done

It is quite common and the anticipatory dread does respond to various treatments.
...

In brief: Commonly done

...
Dr. Mary Efremov
Dr. Mary Efremov
Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Anesthesiology

In brief: Sedation dentistry

This is why some dentists became ( after training) "sedation dentists" They are able to conduct a general ( usually with pills) sedation combined with local usual anesthesia.
Patient is calm, and sleeping during the procedure. Look for sedation dentistry in your area ( make sure he is certified-and knows to manage eventual complications

In brief: Sedation dentistry

Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Dr. James Beck
Dentistry

Yes, the dentist can prescribe a mild anxiolytic medication to ease your nerves during dental treatment.
I often give my nervous patients a mild anxiolytic to take the night before and an hour before the procedure. Then schedule the appointment early so they aren't worried about it all day.

Dr. James Beck
Dr. James Beck
Dr. Eric Weisman