I have 5 swollen lymph nodes! 3 behind my ears and 2 on the back of my neck. They're on my left side. What's going on?!

Dr. Clarence Lyons

In brief: See a doctor

With that many enlarged lymph nodes you should see a doctor soon to let them find the cause.

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Clarence Lyons
Dr. Clarence Lyons
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: Monitoring Centers

Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food.
Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph for anything bad like bacteria/viruses/cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.

In brief: Monitoring Centers

Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Steven Seres