Is tegretol good for trilgemial neurgia ? Is it a safe drug ?

In brief: Not my first choice

Tegretol does control the pain of trigeminal neuralgia, but so do other meds, and i would try Lyrica (pregabalin) first, as it has few if any drug-drug interactions, and is, in my experience extremely effective.
Tegretol is an older drug with many potential side effects, including liver and bone marrow issues, low sodium, gastrointestinal problems, and elevation of cholesterol. Do not understand why choice.

In brief: Not my first choice

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr M: What dose do you use and have you run into problems with weight gain with Lyrica?
Dr. Eric Weisman