My mother has dementia she has frequent urianary tract infections why is her dementia worse during utis?

Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Most infections
Cause a worsening of dementia symptoms, including uti's.
But any serious infection can cause confusion in any patient, regardless of age. We believe that this is related to how much of a reserve of strength/memory the person has, but we actually don't know.

In brief: Most infections
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Steven Reidbord
In brief: Infection impairs
You've made an important observation: medical issues can affect cognition (thinking), especially in someone who is already vulnerable.
Uti is a frequent cause of altered mental status in the elderly. Any fever-causing infection carries this risk, it's just that UTI is a common example, especially in the presence of a urinary catheter.

In brief: Infection impairs
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: See below
The level of immune system is decreased over the aging process, especially much worsening for dementia individuals.
They cannot communicate UTI symptoms to caregivers/physicians. I would tell caregivers to encourage more fluids, including cranberry juice and extra care after going to bathroom. Also check with gyn for possible atopic vagnitis (dryness of vagina) which cause frequent uti.

In brief: See below
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Charlene Sojico
I think it is atrophic vaginitis instead of atopic
Dr. Adam Levy