My doctor precribed prednisone for one week for plantar fasciitis I am worried of the side effects ?

Dr. Robert Leland
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Side effects low,but

Generally, a low dose Prednisone taper has a low risk of side effects.
However, unless this is a bad acute flare up, other very low risk options such as immobilization, stretching, deep tissue mobilization, otc arch support, etc. Can also be effective.

In brief: Side effects low,but

Dr. Robert Leland
Dr. Robert Leland

In brief: Medication

Any medication can have side effects but in the proper dosage and instructions the therapeutic value is invaluable.

In brief: Medication

Dr. Raymond Stolarski
Dr. Raymond Stolarski
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Generally tolerated

This is a common prescription and is generally well tolerated.
Water retention and associated transient weight gain, and irritability are some of the more common side effects. Nsaids should be avoided when taking this medication because of the increased risk of GI bleeding. You should talk to you doctor about any concerns you have with a prescription.

In brief: Generally tolerated

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel

In brief: Dont be

Only long term use is dangerous.

In brief: Dont be

Only long term use is dangerous.
Dr. Albert Larocca
Dr. Albert Larocca

In brief: Usually not

A Medrol (methylprednisolone) dose pack weans you off the Prednisone to help reduce side effects.
I have found cortisone injections to be more effective than oral cortisone. I also recommend orthotics, achilles stretching and possibly physical therapy.

In brief: Usually not

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

I rarely prescribe prednisone.
Most aches and pains such as plantar fasciitis can be treated by options listed earlier. The problem with Prednisone in orthopedics is the potential for avn (avascular necrosis) of many joint bones such as shoulder, hip, and knee. For me in this case the risk does not outweigh the benefit in but this is simply my preference...Discuss with ur doc and agree on a plan.

I rarely prescribe prednisone.
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

1 of 2 ......Plantar fasciitis is a common cause of heel pain.
Proper stretching, formal therapy, icing and anti inflammatory medication, well cushioned shoes, orthotics and sometimes an injection of steroid are treatment choices. You can continue walking if symptoms are tolerable with above interventions but if symptoms persist further workup and evaluation by a specialist may be needed.

Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan

In brief: Don't be

Short term steroids usually have minimal side effects and if they do they are not long in duration.

In brief: Don't be

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine