Mother with a gambling addiction. How to stop it?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: You can't.

Only your mom can get the help she needs.
But you could check out a gambler's anonymous meeting and offer to go with her. And, you could offer to go to an addiction psychiatrist with her for her first visit.

In brief: You can't.

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Arthur Hoffman

In brief: Treat the cause

I wish it were easier and simpler;however, as with an general symptom, many causes can lurk.
Not to scare, but a thorough psychiatric evaluation would be the best mother's day gift. Offer to go with her and to find one. Most likely, this is psychiatric in nature : a form of anxiety, compulsive, even phobia (of death); but slim. Physical cause/contributing factor. We are complex beings.

In brief: Treat the cause

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Gambling

She has to want help, first thing;s first.
I have heard mixed reviews about Gambler's Anonymous. I would say have mom seek psychotherapy to find out if the gambling serves an emotional need she may not be able to speak of yet.

In brief: Gambling

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Mutual support helps

You can not control your mother's gambling.
You might consider attending a meeting of gam-anon for the families and friends of compulsive gamblers.

In brief: Mutual support helps

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Marsha Davis