How can I relax my heart rate by meditation?

Dr. Michael Fenster
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Keep Going!

Meditation allows the brain to achieve an altered state.
This state, associated with tranquility and calmness, affects the hormonal and nervous system. The net cardiovascular effects are reduce blood pressure and slow heart rate and respirations. These have been shown to have long term benefits, including long term blood pressure reductions.

In brief: Keep Going!

Dr. Michael Fenster
Dr. Michael Fenster
Dr. Michael Rothman

In brief: Abdominal breathing

Studies have shown that meditation can have positive effects on your autonomic nervous system, your immune system and your hormonal systems, thus rebalancing your overall metabolism. Proper abdominal breathing techniques are paramount in achieving the relaxation response.
You do not need to be a master. Find someone who can teach you this and then practice it consistently.

In brief: Abdominal breathing

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman