I was recently diagnosed with complex partial seizure disorder. Started with one med but now 2?

Yes. It is not uncommon to require more than one anti-seizure medication to control seizures.
CPS. Cps, is more common and difficult to treat than grand mal or generalized seizures, sometimes one seizure medication is not enough to treat cps, in some cases 2-3 medications are needed to acheive the seizure control, if cps is uncontrolled with 3 medications for 6 months then a work up for epilepsy surgery may be recommended.