I have a case of poison oak on my face. Should I take prednisone pills or use just creams?

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine
In brief: Probably pills
For more severe poison oak contact dermatitis even prescription strength steroid creams are not sufficiently effective.
I recommend fairly aggressive use of Prednisone to get symptoms under control, and continue therapy for at least 7 to 10 days (as taper) to avoid rash recurrence.

In brief: Probably pills
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
2 comments
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
If you're diabetic, be aware that your sugars may be elevated while you're on the steroid; your doc may want to adjust your meds accordingly
Dr. Ted King
Excellent point.
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Depends on severity
Prednisone and the more potent steroid creams need to be prescribed by your doctor, anyway; have your doctor evaluate your rash and follow the advice with regard to how aggressively it should be treated.

In brief: Depends on severity
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
topical steroid are typically ineffective for poison ivy/ poison oak. Go with oral alternatives
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Can use either
As dr. Steven said, it depends on how widespread it is.
If it is only a few spots, a cream is fine. If you use a cream on the face, you have to be careful not to use it too long, especially if it is a high potency cream.

In brief: Can use either
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King