My dad died of an ischemic event, am I more likely to get it?

Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology

In brief: Possibly

Vascular disease often runs in families.
Not all vascular disease is heritable, much depends on life choice (diet, exercise, smoking). Not all vascular disease need be serious--but don't bet that it won't. Are you overweight, hypertensive, diabetic, Cocaine abuser, physically inactive? This is much more important than worrying the genetics you can't change. Worry only makes things worse.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Amy Gruszecki
Pathology

Your dad likely died of the medical conditions that cause ischemia - atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and hypertensive cardiovascular disease.
These diseases are passed on in families. So you have a likely chance to also have those diseases.

Dr. Amy Gruszecki
Dr. Amy Gruszecki
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine