How long will it take for a urinary tract infection to go away after starting antibiotics?

5 to 7 days. Depending on your overall medical condition, the infection will clear in 5 to 7 days after starting the appriopriate antibiotic. Factors that will affect your treatment include, prescence of kidney stones, diabetes, urinary obstruction, and anatomical abnormalities of the urinary tract. Your urinary symptoms will resolve in about 48 hours but complete the entire course of medication.
1 to 2 days. If you're on the right drug, the symptoms get better quickly. Be sure to complete the treatment to avoid a flare up.
2 - 14 days. Cystitis UTI can clear up very quickly in 2 -3 days. Kidney UTI takes longer, i.e. A couple of weeks and should be treated with an antibiotic which achieves good tissue levels. Thus macrodantin, (nitrofurantoin) which is excellent for cystitis should not be used to treat pyelonephritis.