Brushed teeth and spitting blood that's not from gums. Does this mean a cavity?

No. How do you know the blood is not from the gums? Teeth don't usually bleed unless a big piece of a tooth comes out and the nerve is exposed. But that is rare and most people do have gingivitis, so ot's more likely to be from the gums. Unless you have stomach issues. That could also be a cause. Get evaluated by a dentist to determine the source.
Unusual. It is quite unusual that a tooth bleeds except during dentist's treatment. This is because the structure that the blood vessels run inside the tooth is deep and not easily reachable by brushing, or any home care methods or products. It is however common that the blood is coming from not-so-visible area that is deep inside the gum pockets. See a dentist right away to find out. It's not healthy.