Etoposide IV was given to my partner with carboplatin as a curative treatment for non-small cell lung cancer. Was this a standard treatment for this?

Setting? When you say "curative", you mean after surgery or concurrently with radiation? The choice of chemo depends on the situation, the doctor, and institutional or national standards. To answer your question, i normally would use carbo (or cisplatin)/etoposide in small cell lung cancer patients but can't say is a bad choice for nslc patients, especially with radiation. I've used it in that setting.
Part of it. Multi-drug chemotherapy, in combination with radiation therapy, is considered standard therapy for patients not considered surgical candidates, or who don't want surgery. In that setting, most therapies are considered being given for curative intent.