Doctor just put me on prednisone for my asthma. Should I be very scared?

Dr. Brian Novick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

The Prednisone will help get your asthma under control.
..Most people have very few side effects from taking Prednisone for a short time. Just be sure to followup with your dr to keep it under control.

In brief: No

Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Yash Khanna
Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the lungs and we use controller meds which are steroid like prednisone which is used for short course for acute attack.But you need to follow that with inhaled steroids,there are many brands of these and broncodilaters as relivers which only relieves the symptoms of asthma which is cough,wheezing and shortness of breath
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: No...

Asthma has both bronchospasm and inflammation components.
If your symptoms are severe enough, you may need systemic steroids, like prednisone, even temporarily to get your asthma under control. You are probably going to need inhaled steroids as well as a bronchodilator inhaler long-term to control symptoms. Follow your doctor's instructions with the Prednisone and you shouldn't have any problems.

In brief: No...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Cindy Juster