What are the drawbacks of not having surgery to repair a small ankle fracture? When is surgery necessary?

If ORS recc... If your orthopedic surgeon recommends 'fixing ' your ankle than follow his advice .Some common ankle fx.S do not require surgery... Casting / crutches will suffice.However, if u are young and your fracture pattern has a propensity to' slip' or the ankle mortise is already showing signs of "widening" orif( surgery)is the only option.'drawbacks' include a 'misaligned' joint and sec. Arthritis.