I'm 56 y-o menopause female, degenerative disc disease in back, 90 lbs. Overweight w-bad pain in 1 knee when i walk, can't lose wt. What can I do?

Dr. Tariq Niazi
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: I would recomend ---

Seeing a dietician to eat properly and healthy, so you could lose weight.
That would also decrease the knee pain, of course, depending on how much you lose. Using a walker or a quad cane will also reduce the pain. If the arthritis in the knee is really bad ; with no relief from the conservative measures, you will certainly benefit from a total knee replacement surgery.

In brief: I would recomend ---

Dr. Tariq Niazi
Dr. Tariq Niazi

In brief: NEED FOR CUSHION!

Most shoes aren't always what is bad, usually it's the crummy insoles they come with! there are many possibe reasons that you may have painful feet, but try cushioning arch supports like spenco polysorb cross-trainers(http://www.
Spenco.Com/products/footcare/poly-sorb). If these don't help, see a podiatrist.... Also try an otc anti-inflammatory, like aleve (naproxen).

In brief: NEED FOR CUSHION!

Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. Linda Gromko

In brief: Start somewhere!

I am reading between the lines here, but you sound a little overwhelmed.
Losing weight will help your back and your knee, but it's hard to do when it's so painful to move. You might want to see if there's a water aerobics class in your area. Exercise in water is great because we are practically weightless in water. You may even want to talk about weight loss surgery options. But get started now.

In brief: Start somewhere!

Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Daniel Lebowitz
Board Certified, Anti-Aging Medicine