How do I deal with mouth herpes simplex? I want to kiss my baby.

Risk/benefit. Many cultural practices are just that, a practice that represents something. Kissing your baby could put them in the hospital, so your thinking brain needs to decide that your emotional brain needs to wait. If you are lucky you can have most of your life to kiss on the kid, when the HS is not active.
Cold sores. When active are highly infective so do not kiss your baby. Can speed up healing by using topical antiviral. Also avoid oral sex when active as the recipient of oral sex can develop genital herpes.
Virus infection. Do not kiss your baby until herpes is gone. A simple remedy is taking the Amino Acid lysine that you can usually obtain from a health food store.
Medication. Valtrex, (valacyclovir) acyclovir, etc... See your doc. Don't kiss the baby until this is taken care of.