Housework makes me really depressed. Am I a bad wife?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: In my office,

There is no such thing as "good" of "bad", only what works and what doesn't work.
If not doing housework works for you in your situation, don't do it. Or would you ask for help with the housework. And why are you so eager to label yourself a "bad wife". Perhaps seeing a therapist could help you sort some of this out.

In brief: In my office,

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Certainly not

But you might be messy.
Keeping you surroundings clean and organized is important for over all functioning. Maybe you and your husband could discuss division of labor and change your current allocations. Maybe you need help and support to make changes that improve your mood, or to change your housework patterns.

In brief: Certainly not

But you might be messy.
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Glen Elliott
As implied with the above answer, you reaction may have much more to do with your sense of being treated unfairly than with either the housework itself or a true depression. Look at how you respond to other routine, repetitive chores. Do they make you feeel the same way?
Dr. Eric Weisman