I was prescribed bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) last night for mastitis. I'm already on penicillin for strep throat. Is it safe to be on both? Is bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) safe?

Usually. If you developed or have worsening mastitis on penicillin, then Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is a drug with a different mode of action that may well help clear up the problem.Any medication strong enough to do good, can have undesired effects. A small percentage of the population has or can develop an allergy to is as they might the penicillin.Most can take both with no problems. Consult your doc if trouble arises.
Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) like so many drugs has side effect. It is sun sensitive, so you shold apply a sun block when going outside. It can also cause hive as well well as condition known as steven-johnson syndrome.