If allergic to pcn are you allergic to ampicillin?

Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

If you had an allergic reaction to penicillin it is likely you will have the same reaction if you take ampicillin.

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. David Shulan
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

Ampicillin is a penicillin.
Studies in the past have shown that most people can loose penicillin allergy over time ( nearly 80% ten years or more after a reaction). Testing can be helpful to see if you lost the allergy, particularly with less severe rash reactions.

Ampicillin is a penicillin.
Dr. David Shulan
Dr. David Shulan
Dr. Amy Shah

Ampicillin is a beta lactam antibiotic- closely related to penicillin.
It is part of the aminopenicillin family and is roughly equivalent to Amoxicillin in terms of spectrum and level of activity. I would avoid it until you have had a chance to get penicillin testing through your doctor.

Dr. Amy Shah
Dr. Amy Shah
Dr. Vicken Poochikian