Blind spot in center of vision--went away after few minutes. Should I have called eye doctor?

Probably not. Depends on your age. I would see one to make sure nothing funny going on, especially if you are older or have medical problems. In a young healthy patient, it's usually migraine.
YES. A temporary blind spot can occur for many reasons. In some cases, it is a harbinger of a migraine, but in other cases it can be the result of a small blood clot temporarily blocking an artery in the eye or the brain. It should be reported to your doctor and evaluated immediately in an emergency room as it can sometimes mean a person is at increased risk for a stroke in the immediate future.