Why would they make a combo steroid and antibiotic ointment for eyes?

Dr. Damien Luviano
Ophthalmology
In brief: Guessers
Stupid combo. The antibacterial used in these combination drugs is often tobramycin, which is not a first line antibiotic for eye infections.
Tobramycin main action is towards gram negative bacteria. Eye infections and the ones responsible for blindness are gram positive. Steroids decrease the immune system. All my professors are against them. They make patient feel better. I don't prescribe.

In brief: Guessers
Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Ari Weitzner
kinda disagree. can be very helpful in blepharitis or infections that have a lot of inflammation. agree not to be taken lightly. true, tobramycin not ideal for gram positive, but in the eye, the concentration gets so high that it is quite effective- many cornea specialists i refer to use it.
Dr. Ari Weitzner
Ophthalmology
In brief: Why not?
Sometimes you need both- the antibiotic to kill the bugs, and a steroid to quiet the eye down.

In brief: Why not?
Dr. Ari Weitzner
Dr. Ari Weitzner
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine