If we use a gestational surrogate, when do I tell the child?

Dr. Gregory Mosolf

In brief: You will have time

You will have plenty of time to think of what to say.
No reason to really discuss it until the child is 7 or 8 in my opinion. At that point (or sooner) you have to start talking about the birds and bees anyway. There are plenty of books for children to help parents explain sex and pregnancy etc.

In brief: You will have time

Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Thomas Riney
wait till the child asks you, you can give developmentally appropriate answers guided by your pediatrician

In brief: At birth!

Children should be aware long before they are able to fully comprehend.
Tell your newborn-so that you can practice how to say it, and your child will just 'know' the special circumstances. There will be no dramatic, soap opera moment of revelation. "mommy couldn't be pregnant so a very special lady, helped you grow in her uterus." no secrets, no fear someone will tell before you get the chance.

In brief: At birth!

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Jane Van Dis